I meet all the dog transports with Lori who runs the rescue. I take a few new pictures for petfinder and she gives them a flea bath while we wait for their foster mom's to pick the new pup up. Well, I surprised my husband when I came home with Handover. He was just a puppy and arrived coughing and a bit lethargic for a puppy. Home he came with me and received lots of special attention and care including hand feeding. He was already better the next day and the cough began to subside several days later. What a beautiful big boy he was. I needed to go out of town the following weekend so my friend Lisa took him in. He was adopted that Monday. I never was able to meet his new parents but I believe he is in the Lake Country area and they had large dogs in the past. What an awesome pup they got. Have a happy life big boy.
Sherry was another surprise for my husband. Her story was someone was driving down the road and saw a dog get tossed out of their car onto the roadside. The woman stopped and picked her up and took her to the local shelter. All dogs are vaccinated for distemper/parvo and rabies when they arrive at the shelters. The problem is, it takes time to develop the immunity. Sherry was put on the next transport and received a health certificate by an area vet. Twelve hours into transport we learned her kennel mate had come down with parvo. We did not know if Sherry had developed the immunity so to my house she came and we observed her for signs of the disease for the next week. She needed to stay in my garage so my dog would not be exposed but we took several walks a day and spent time in the front yard where my dog does not go. She never came down with the virus, whew. She was such a delightful dog. Lori even came over a few times and took her for walks when I was unable and commented on her dark fur on her backside looking like she was wearing a sweater. A week later, she joined us in my home but not for long. During the week, I blogged on her and she caught the attention of a couple. She was adopted a few days later.

