Coby was my first WI foster dog. A fellow dog foster, Kris, emailed me about a neighbors dog that had been left outside pretty much the whole winter. She said he looked like a poodle mix but was hard to tell will all the long matts hanging off him. The story was, they did not have time for him. Well, that was certainly clear. We met in the Brookfield Mall parking lot and she surrendered the dog to me. Little did I know what a project he would be. Coby loved me and was just a joy to have in the home. He just didn't like strangers and had fear aggression. I found out later when my college son met him, Coby nipped him a couple of times. They were best friends after that and even was Stevens favorite dog to date. When meeting people, Coby was saying, I'm going to let you know, don't mess with me. Thankfully, he did not break skin which behaviorists call "bite inibition". This was such a shock as I had not been told about this behavior by the owner and he was living with three kids at their home. I consulted a behaviorist and began on working with Coby on his fear. The behaviorist said to go very slow, which we did. And we DID see progress. I wrote about our journey on my blog and a couple read about him and wanted to meet him. I was somewhat fearful, would he nip them? They knew just what to do when they arrived. They did not look at him and ignored him for some time. They then offered him a treat. Before you knew it, he was up on the couch between them. They were committed to continue his training and he went home with them that day. His name is still the same but spelled Kobi now and he is a Brewers fan with his new collar and comfy Brewers fleece to lay on. A big thank you to this couple for taking on a special, very dear boy and continuing to help him on his way. Miss you Kobi, we loved you here.
Saturday, April 5, 2014
OUR 2014 FOSTER DOG HAPPY TALES!
Ringo was dropped off at an Alabama shelter because "he kept getting out of the yard". That was so hard for me to believe because he was my little shadow. He followed me everywhere. I don't think I have ever had a dog here that loved me so much. Some times I would just catch him lovingly staring at me. He also did this with his foster mom while he was in Alabama. He didn't like it when left alone but we found the perfect solution. Since he slept by our bed in a crate, I would put him up in the bedroom when I left the house. I think the bedroom was comforting and he was calm and quiet the whole time alone. (Maybe it was just he didn't know I had left.) Ringo was adopted by a lovely lady in Racine. I am sure he loves her just the same as he loved me.
Coby was my first WI foster dog. A fellow dog foster, Kris, emailed me about a neighbors dog that had been left outside pretty much the whole winter. She said he looked like a poodle mix but was hard to tell will all the long matts hanging off him. The story was, they did not have time for him. Well, that was certainly clear. We met in the Brookfield Mall parking lot and she surrendered the dog to me. Little did I know what a project he would be. Coby loved me and was just a joy to have in the home. He just didn't like strangers and had fear aggression. I found out later when my college son met him, Coby nipped him a couple of times. They were best friends after that and even was Stevens favorite dog to date. When meeting people, Coby was saying, I'm going to let you know, don't mess with me. Thankfully, he did not break skin which behaviorists call "bite inibition". This was such a shock as I had not been told about this behavior by the owner and he was living with three kids at their home. I consulted a behaviorist and began on working with Coby on his fear. The behaviorist said to go very slow, which we did. And we DID see progress. I wrote about our journey on my blog and a couple read about him and wanted to meet him. I was somewhat fearful, would he nip them? They knew just what to do when they arrived. They did not look at him and ignored him for some time. They then offered him a treat. Before you knew it, he was up on the couch between them. They were committed to continue his training and he went home with them that day. His name is still the same but spelled Kobi now and he is a Brewers fan with his new collar and comfy Brewers fleece to lay on. A big thank you to this couple for taking on a special, very dear boy and continuing to help him on his way. Miss you Kobi, we loved you here.
Coby was my first WI foster dog. A fellow dog foster, Kris, emailed me about a neighbors dog that had been left outside pretty much the whole winter. She said he looked like a poodle mix but was hard to tell will all the long matts hanging off him. The story was, they did not have time for him. Well, that was certainly clear. We met in the Brookfield Mall parking lot and she surrendered the dog to me. Little did I know what a project he would be. Coby loved me and was just a joy to have in the home. He just didn't like strangers and had fear aggression. I found out later when my college son met him, Coby nipped him a couple of times. They were best friends after that and even was Stevens favorite dog to date. When meeting people, Coby was saying, I'm going to let you know, don't mess with me. Thankfully, he did not break skin which behaviorists call "bite inibition". This was such a shock as I had not been told about this behavior by the owner and he was living with three kids at their home. I consulted a behaviorist and began on working with Coby on his fear. The behaviorist said to go very slow, which we did. And we DID see progress. I wrote about our journey on my blog and a couple read about him and wanted to meet him. I was somewhat fearful, would he nip them? They knew just what to do when they arrived. They did not look at him and ignored him for some time. They then offered him a treat. Before you knew it, he was up on the couch between them. They were committed to continue his training and he went home with them that day. His name is still the same but spelled Kobi now and he is a Brewers fan with his new collar and comfy Brewers fleece to lay on. A big thank you to this couple for taking on a special, very dear boy and continuing to help him on his way. Miss you Kobi, we loved you here.